Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sept. 16 and 17

The LA Times had an interesting read on the engineer of the Metrolink.


Michelle DeArmond and Duane Gang had an interesting story about voters registering as Democrats being switched to Republicans. Seems real shady.

The Sun’s Miranda White had a good story about a woman sky diving for her first time. The woman is 70. But the lede is terrible:
Nancy Burrows decided she was going to go skydiving for her 70th birthday, and nothing was going to stop her.
"My grandmother said to enjoy your life and don't ever say, `I wish I had done that,"' said Burrows, a resident of Mentone. "That's how I lived most of my life."
As a reader, once I saw that line about nothing stopping her I thought I would read about this woman facing all odds. Maybe she fought a mountain lion on her way to the airport or her plane ran out of fuel. Nope.

Meanwhile the Sun continues to report the San Bernardino Police Chief in a way stronger way than the PE. The story today from Andrew Edwards is not really needed but it keeps readers informed what paper is doing a better job with the story. And really, how can you not run a story with that great council woman’s quote.: "Is it time for the chief to stay or leave?" she asked later. "I think he's an intelligent man. I hope he's able to read the tea leaves on this one."

No comments: